Evaluation for Educational Technologists
Procedures for evaluating educational programs, training systems, and emergent-technology applications.
The goals of this course are for students to learn important concepts and practices in the field of evaluation including: management, models, data sources, analysis, and reporting results. The unofficial version of these is to empower you to become a consumer of research, and give you the tools to skillfully evaluate educational materials. Why the emphasis on evaluation research? Program evaluation is the single area of research application that most links researchers to practitioners. Program evaluation investigates the effectiveness or impact of interventions and social programs. One engages in program evaluation research to learn which aspects of a program are working and which are not. This is a pivotal course in your degree program. You will learn the process of planning evaluation research, design data collection instruments, and analyze data. These skills are critical if you write grants, a thesis, dissertation, or article for publication in an educational research journal. They are also critical if you are in the position of evaluating the effectiveness of instructional practice, programs, software, curriculum, etc. Teachers, principals, program evaluators, instructional designers, district technology coordinators, and consultants are a few examples of people who might require these skills.
- Define a number of terms related to the field of evaluation and research and apply them to various projects
- Describe what is meant by evaluation and its role in educational technology
- Discuss the rationale for conducting an evaluation
- Identify the role of and audience for evaluation
- Describe an “Evaluator’s Program Description” and the uses for one
- Describe similarities and differences between evaluation models, their components, and how they contrast with research models
- Discuss types and levels of data as well as data collection tools
- Discuss the issue of sampling as it applies to evaluation
- Describe the rationale for and the components of an evaluation report
- Select appropriate evaluation strategies and procedures for a given educational program or instructional product