EDTECH 504: Theoretical Foundations of Educational Technology
Overview of classic and contemporary theories of learning and their applications in educational technology and emerging orientations; implications for practice. Explores foundations, history, perspectives, and literature in the field. Enables students to think more critically about issues in the field, as well as their own work and career goals.
After completing this course students will be able to:
1. Compare and contrast notions of past, present and future theories of educational technology.
2. Distinguish between the theoretical positions that underlie current approaches to educational technology.
3. Define and identify epistemological principles.
4. Identify major schools of thought.
5. Differentiate between epistemological beliefs and schools of thought.
6. Describe and account for the origins of major theories and their influence on educational technology.
7. Show how perceptions and approaches to educational technology have been influenced by prevailing educational theories.
8. Explain how systematic approaches to educational technology differ from traditional classroombased approaches to teaching.
9. Contextualize emerging theories of learning within the framework of technological innovations.
10. Apply educational technology theories to practical development contexts.